History of Calvary
Calvary Evangelical Lutheran Church of Rush Point was officially organized on November 22nd, 1870 as the Swedish
Evangelical Lutheran Congregation at Rush Lake.
In 1876 the first church was completed and in 1881 a parsonage was built.
On November 11, 1914 a new church was dedicated.
In 1919 the name of the church was changed to Evangelical
Lutheran Church of Rush Lake.
Swedish services ceased to be held in 1937.
In 1940 the name was changed to Calvary Evangelical Lutheran Church of Rush Point.
In 1962 it became part of the Lutheran Church in America with its roots in the
In 1967 the original annex was built.
In 1987 it became part of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
In 1995 it celebrated its 125th Anniversary. November of 2000 was our 130th Anniversary.
In 2004 an addition was built making Calvary handicap accessible.
It was constructed with a new kitchen, fellowship hall, bathrooms, storage areas and an elevator
the old offices were also moved and enlarged.
A new full basement added space for the youth and our Sunday school activities.
A stage was also constructed in the new basement for youth plays and activities.
A new kitchenette is currently being constructed and a new cozy fireplace hearth area
was added. This area will be available for rental upon completion sometime in 2013.